1. I’d get it for you ______ I could remember who last borrowed the book.
a. on condition that b. now that c. except that d. considering that
2. The robber told him that he had better keep silent ______ he wanted to get into trouble
a. if b. unless c. otherwise d. whether
3. Strange ______ his behavior may be, there is a very good reason for it.
a. although b. even if c. that d. as
4. We are worried about our son because no one is aware ______ he has gone.
a. the place b. of where c. about the place d. where
5. The professor spoke in a loud voice ______ every one of us could hear him.
a. such that b. so c. so that d. such
6. When he just got off the plane, he gave us a good description of ______ in Spain.
a. what he had seen b. that he had seen c. which he had seen d. he had seen what
7. It is fitted with a small transformer, by means of ______ the voltage of the currency can be adjusted.
a. whom b. which c. what d. that
8. I don’t know why she’s looking at me ______ she knew me. I’ve never seen her before in my life.
a. as b. although c. even if d. as if
9. No sooner had he finished his speech ______ stormy applause broke out.
a. when b. then c. than d. as
10. It is hard to avoid mistakes. ______ you correct them conscientiously, it will be all right.
a. In the case b. As long as c. Although d. Despite
11. Geometry, ______ I know nothing, seems a very dull subject.
a. that b. about that c. which d. about which
12. The highest temperature ______ in any furnace on earth is about 10,000 centigrade.
a. we can get b. that we can get it c. which we can get it d. what we can get
13. We sent the horses to a considerable distance, ______ they should disturb the children.
a. less b. lest c. last d. least
14. Sound is conducted through steel in the same manner ______.
a. as in air b. as through air c. as air does d. like air
15. _____ he was putting on his uniform, the officer found that one of the sleeves was torn.
a. Since b. Unless c. As d. Before
16. The police finally caught up with the man ______ was the escaped prisoner.
a. who they thought b. whom they thought
c. they thought him d. that they thought him
17. ______ knows the name of this song will receive a prize from the radio station.
a. Whoever b. Those c. Whichever people d. Any people
18. ______ do you believe is not about to support our plan?
a. Whom b. Who c. Whomever d. Which
19. He didn’t know French, ______ made it difficult for him to study at a university in France.
a. that b. as c. this d. which
20. She is a fine singer, ______ her mother used to be
a. like b. that c. as d. which
21. ______, I realize that I owe a debt to my early country life.
a. Lover of towns I am b. As lover of towns
c. Lover of towns as am I d. Though am I the lover of towns
22. The rise of Davy was all the more brilliant in ______ he had not had much schooling.
a. which b. that c. what d. the way
23. She always takes careful notes in class ______ she may review them from time to time.
a. so that b. in order to c. because of d. rather than
24. The reason he was late is ______ his clock didn’t give the alarm.
a. because b. due to c. since d. that
25. ______ he was in error will scarcely be disputed by his warmest friends.
a. What b. That c. Which d. Though
26. I shall do the exercises ______ I have been taught.
a. such b. as c. what d. for
27. ______ is worth doing at all is worth doing well.
a. That b. Whatever c. Whichever d. However
28. She was so stubborn that she never listens to the advice ______.
a. that I give it to her b. which I give to her
c. what I give to her d. I give it to her
29. I was supposed to be a mathematics major, but I actually took ______ courses in physics, if not more.
a. so many b. as many c. a good many(of) d. such many
30. Heat does not travel by convection in a solid, because the solid does not move, ______.
a. so does a liquid b. so a liquid does c. so is a liquid d. as does a liquid
31. He explained everything over again ______ anyone should misunderstand him.
a. since b. when c. lest d. as if
32. ______ convincing an argument is, it needs support of evidence.
a. Whatever b. However c. Although d. Even if
33. Earthworms occur ______ adequate moisture and food and the necessary soil conditions are found.
a. and b. however c. but d. wherever